Cool Stuff

The Wayfarers trilogy by author Jim Yackel

Friday, August 6, 2010

Prayer Walking ©2009-2010 Jim Yackel



Our Lord has blessed me with the desire for motion and activity. My metabolism is high and that metabolic rate is a blessing for which I am exceedingly grateful. I can only "veg" in limited doses -- and it has to be in front of a good movie, intriguing documentary, or in the presence of good company. This writer finds it difficult to merely "hang out." 


Walking is a pursuit that I find most beneficial. In addition to being an effective form of exercise, walking with a sense of purpose can relieve stress and also clear the mind and break down the dams that restrain the rivers of creativity from flowing freely. I walk for miles at a time. There have been instances where yours truly has set out on a walk and not wanted to return... 

At the apex of the list of preferred walkways is the old Erie Canal towpath through Camillus and Warners, New York. From the Sims Store parking area in Camillus, west to the Newport Road parking area in Warners and back again to the Camillus starting point it is a 4.2 mile round trip, and I walk it in about an hour. 

Prior to my divorce my place of residence was Manlius, New York. Although I no longer inhabit that particular town, I still maintain a post office box there. Manlius is the home of Mill Run Park, and walking the footpaths that wind through the woods that surround the park provided me with a great source of solace and one-on-one time with our Holy, Triune God.
While I generally prefer to walk listening to music CD's or talk radio, a number of the jaunts taken on the trails through the Mill Run Park woods were constitutional in nature; with no radio or musical accompaniment. It was on these more "constitutional" outings that I would find myself praying while walking. 

Generally, solitude will not be found on the trails around Mill Run Park if the weather is good. The park itself is a popular destination for picnics and for its playground. The trails will draw dog-walkers, joggers, and romantic strollers, smiling and holding hands. Yes, young love is a wonderful thing! (aaahhh...I miss it.) But, on those instances when I found myself prayer walking I had those trails all to myself -- even if the weather was pleasant. Was the hand of God instrumental in providing alone time for Him and me on those trails? It certainly seems as though he cleared the area for us to have our own private palavers. 

Certainly, one must keep their head up and eyes open while prayer walking. Bowing one's head and closing one's eyes while walking would very likely lead to personal injury, just as it would if praying while driving. Some of the most intense prayers I've prayed have taken place while briskly walking those trails through the woods surrounding the park. I would begin by asking the Holy Spirit to lead me while walking with me. Some of these prayer walking sessions would last for an hour. I would completely empty my heart and mind in praise, thanksgiving, and in heavy petitioning. Frequently I would settle into tongues, where I wouldn't know what I was praying -- as Romans 8:26 illustrates:
Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
So often I experienced weakness and knew not what to pray for -- other than knowing that I needed to pray. The Holy Spirit took it for me and delivered it before the Father's throne.
I am a proponent of traditional prayer: on my knees with head bowed and eyes closed. But, don't be restricted when it comes to communing with our Lord God. If you feel led to pray while walking, then pray! Likewise, if you feel led to pray while driving, then pray! In both of the aforementioned situations, please keep your head up and your eyes open. I don't need to remind you of that, right? (Please tell me that I don't need to remind you!) 

While I love taking that 4.2 mile trek alongside the old Erie Canal, I am feeling a strong desire to again take a prayer walk through the Mill Run Park woods in Manlius. This is a short journey that will be taken soon -- perhaps by he time you read this. Those woods are beautiful and God's handiwork is everywhere you look and what a pleasure and a blessing it is for the eyes to behold.

No comments:

Post a Comment